Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Problem Solved??


I have always been concerned about displaying my work. My problem is that I dislike the thought of my work being framed behind glass. As my images are dark with over 50% of the image is near black, displayed behind glass, makes it difficult to see as the glass in front of the dark image turns the glass into a mirror. Trying to look at my work is near impossible as you struggle to see beyond the reflection of yourself. I first noticed this phenomena while I was at a Bill Henson exhibition. His images were hard to view through the reflection of the glass. I have tried a number of mounts in the past. 

Usually, I preferred to pin the print directly to the wall of the gallery. I have had my work mounted on craftwood. It is a good solution however the surface of the print needs to be sprayed with a lacquer finish to protect it. While this solves the problem, the lacquer flattens the print sheen (I prefer Satin/Pearl) thus reducing the intensity of the blacks within the print. I have also had prints produced on Canvas which also is a solution. While the print quality is good, colour intensity can be dulled. Another problem I have encountered with the Canvas is that it polarises the viewers of my work into two camps - those who don't mind the Canvas and views the image regardless of the substrate that it is mounted on - and those who have a bias against Canvas, believing that it is a cheap, amateurish surface that has a kitsch quality of a Kmart/Officeworks print (regardless of the quality of the printing/canvas). As soon as I say 'a work on Canvas' the reaction on some people's faces is of utter disgust - even without seeing the quality of the image.

After seeing a Masters students work I was repacking after assessment, I noticed two photographs mounted on Aluminum. Intrigued, I asked the student where she got these printed. She sent me the link to Print2Metal  which offered the following -  

  • Gives your image a breathtaking unique and contemporary look and feel
  • Enhances contrast, sharpness and colour saturation unobtainable by any other printing method
  • Inks infused into specially coated aluminium ensures a durable and archival scratch resistant surface
  • We custom make each print to any required size up to 30" x45"
  • Choose from 4 different finishes for the exact look to compliment your work
  • Really differentiates your work from photographic paper and canvas prints
  • Water and weatherproof makes them ideal for kitchens and bathrooms
  • No mould or mildew in humid climates
  • Easy to clean with our glass cleaner and micro fibre cloth
  • Lightweight and much more economical than traditional bulky frames with glass
  • Makes your image stand apart with its brilliant luminescence and vibrant depth of colour

I uploaded an image and three days later I received my sample print (above). I must say I was impressed with the quality of the print. It retained the quality of a photographic print (satin), however, having the image on metal has given an 'objectness' to the print akin to an old 'tintype' photograph. I am excited at the possibilities that these aluminum prints offer. Not only a super flat photograph (without warping), the metal print can be rolled or curved for exhibiting installations instead of flat images on a wall. Prints can be ordered with floating hangers, or presented in aluminum frames

Prices range from $100 up for a 8"x 10"/A4 print (excluding postage). Expensive? When you consider the price of printing a traditional print, framing, etc, the price is comparable.

Super flat prints, great colour, archival, scratch resistant, are my display problems solved? Too early to tell but what I have seen so far I'm impressed. If anyone else has used aluminum printing/mounting, I would be interested in hearing your views. 



No comments:

Post a Comment